CURRICULUM VITAE OF
INGE HARDING-BARLOW, PHD, MRSC, CCHEM
Independent technical advice available
MAIN AREAS OF EXPERIENCE:
- BIOGEOCHEMISTRY of Trace Elements
- TRACE ELEMENTS in NUTRITION
- Toxicology of METALS (Cr/As/Cd/Ni/Hg/etc.), ASBESTOS & MAN-MADE FIBERS, SOLVENTS, PESTICIDES AND OTHER MAJOR AIR & WATER POLLUTANTS
- Evaluation & Management of small & large POLLUTED SITES
- Toxicology & Interactions of FOOD ADDITIVES, VITAMINS, ESSENTIAL MINERALS & WORLDWIDE MEDICINAL HERBS
- INFORMATIONAL SCIENCE RESEARCHER. Database sleuthing!
- HISTORICAL SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH, both ancient and modern
- Human & environmental RISK MANAGEMENT & RISK ASSESSMENTS.
- Emergency Response and ACUTE TOXICITY EVALUATION
- Toxicity of pollutants from COAL GASIFICATION & GEOTHERMAL SOURCES
B.Sc., B.Sc. (Hons.) Chemistry, (Magna cum laude)
Elected Member of the Royal Institute of Chemistry, London
Ph.D. - Trace Element in Human Tissues
Chartered Chemist in Great Britain
Cofounder & Vice President International Institute of Bengal Basin
Consultant in Toxicology, Risk Management & Risk Assessment. Have reviewed data on an on-going basis, for three NPL & State Superfund sites, plus 15 other large industrially polluted sites. Have worked on PEAs, RIs, FSs & Risk Assessments at many other sites in 4 states. Have helped determine regulatory RfDs, RfCs & short term limits. Attend 2-4 overseas international meetings per year on the toxicology of Metals, Risk Management & Regulatory Toxicology. Have compiled & critically reviewed data for ATSDR, EPA, NAS, WHO, Canadian Health & Welfare, NASA, API, CMA, IHF, Chrome Coalition, Cadmium Council, American Chrome & Chemical, Allied Signal, U.S. Borax, FMC, WOGA, EPRI, INTEL & many others. Co-reviewed 2 NAS monographs & added to the contents of ATSDR, WHO, NIOSH, EPA, NAS & EPRI monographs. Have given many lectures on all aspects of Toxicology. Have served as an expert witness, for example, at California Prop. 65 hearings on arsenic (U.S. Borax), cadmium & chromium (FMC) and have evaluated and prepared pre-trial data.
Associate Consultant to NASA
Initiated, totally organized & ran an innovative M.S. program in Environmental/Occupational Toxicology at the Univ. of San Francisco
Senior Research Associate, Inst. Chemical Biology, Univ of San Francisco, on exchange to NASA-Ames, Moffett Field, CA
Consultant and contractor to NASA
Research Associate in Pathology Department, Stanford Medical School, Palo Alto, CA USA
Research Instructor in Internal Medicine, Washington Univ. & Research Chemist (G.S. 13) at V.A. Hospital, St. Louis, Mo.
Postdoctoral Fellow & Research Investigator in Pathology at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Hospital & Tumor Institute & the University of Texas, Houston.
Research Associate in Physics, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee.
GRANTS & CONTRACTS:
Institutional Grant from the American Cancer Society.
A Principal Investigator for US Public Health Grant AM-07507.
Investigator for the Apollo Lunar sample program.
Contracts NAS2-5476 & 2-5924 with NASA, Ames, Moffett Field, CA.
AWARDS & OTHER NOTABLE ACTIVITIES:
American Association University Women's (AAUW) International Post-doctoral Fellowship (seldom given for 18 months).
California State Bicentennial AAUW Merit Award in Science.
NASA Space Act Award, ARC-11323-1, "Mass Spectrometer Sample Manipulator for Laser Microprobe Analysis."
Community Representative California Region II, SARA, Title III Planning Commission (LEPC).
State of California, SARA, Title III Planning Commission, sub-committee on acute planning values for chemicals.
Community Advisor & Representative for the Cleanup of about 12+ Polluted Sites in Palo Alto, CA.
State of California Human Health Dose-Response Workgroup.
- The Royal Society of Chemistry, London
li>The New York Academy of Sciences
- The American Chemical Society
- American College of Toxicology -- Charter Member
- Society for Risk Analysis - Charter Member
- Society for Environmental Geochemistry & Health - Charter Member
- The Society for Applied Spectroscopy
SELECTED COMPANY & AGENCY CONTRACT REPORTS:
- Subcontract WHO, to write evaluation of carcinogenic risk of As Pb, Cd, Cr & Ni.
- Subcontract to review NAS-NRC, Biogeochemistry of Ni & Pt & Toxicity of trace elements in coals & coal wastes.
- Subcontract to EPA to peer preview health assessment of Cr & help write Pb, Al, F, Se, Mg, Ca & hardness in Drinking Water Health Advisories.
- Subcontract EPA to peer review 11 Drinking Water Health Advisories.
- Subcontract ATSDR to peer review As, Cr, Ni, F, Sn, Zn, Hg, Pu, Th, Al, CN, H2S04, Xylene, Toluene and related issues & documents.
- Peer Reviewed for Canadian Health & Welfare As & Cr documents.
- Wrote reports on asbestos & other fibers.
- Reviewing & writing Risk Assessments. Also reviewing & evaluating PEAs, RIs and FSs of Superfund & similar sites.
- Evaluation of acute toxicity values.
- Wrote reports on biogeochemistry & toxicity to humans of TCE, related chlorinated solvents, xylene & other aromatic solvents, PCBs, PCB-replacement fluids, fluorocarbons, chlorinated dibenzodioxins & dibenzo-furans, phthalates & ethylene glycol ethers.
- Wrote reports on the extrapolation of animal data to humans, occupational & environmental risk assessments, including, As, Se, Cd, Pb, Ba, Ni, Cr, Acid Rain, S02, NOx, ozone & H2S.
- Wrote on effects due to smelters, toxic waste burial, leachates from mining wastes, CN wastes chemical sludge ponds, drilling muds & fly ash, including effects from As, Co, Cd, Cr, Pb, Ni, Se & asbestos.
- Wrote on toxicity of metal coatings and metal implants.
- Analyzed normal human tissues and fluids for trace metals, worked on standardization of bio-analytical methods for trace elements, laser-microprobe analysis of single cells for trace elements, design of automated emission & mass spectrographic laser microprobes.
- Studied interrelationships & log-normal distribution of metals.
- Studied the effects of trace elements in heart disease & cancer.
- Wrote evaluations of the toxicity of cyclamates & food additives.
I can advise in person, via phone and e-mail. For information, please
me or phone (650) 493-8146 Thank you, Inge Harding Barlow.
Rosetta Stone Inc. home page